strike with disgust or revulsion;
"The scandalous behavior of this married woman shocked her friends"
fill with apprehension or alarm; cause to be unpleasantly surprised;
"I was horrified at the thought of being late for my interview"
"The news of the executions horrified us"
- The prospect of another war appalled us.
- The number of people killed on the roads appalled me.
- We were appalled when we heard that the chairman had been murdered.
- We were appalled by the news of the war.
- The newspaper reports of starving children appalled me.
- appal 使 ... 驚駭