- n. 懇求；呼吁；上訴；吸引力
- n. (體育比賽中)訴請裁決
- v. 呼吁；有吸引力；求助；訴請
- vi. 呼吁 make an earnest request
- vt. & vi. (法律)上訴 take a question to a higher court where it can be heard again and a new decision given
- vi. 有吸引力 interest
- vi. 訴諸裁判決定 make an appeal to the umpire or referee
- [C]呼吁,懇求 an earnest request
- [U]感染力,吸引力 being attractive or interesting to sb
earnest or urgent request;
"an entreaty to stop the fighting"
"an appeal for help"
"an appeal to the public to keep calm"
attractiveness that interests or pleases or stimulates;
"his smile was part of his appeal to her"
(law) a legal proceeding in which the appellant resorts to a higher court for the purpose of obtaining a review of a lower court decision and a reversal of the lower court's judgment or the granting of a new trial;
"their appeal was denied in the superior court"
request for a sum of money;
"an appeal to raise money for starving children"
take a court case to a higher court for review;
"He was found guilty but appealed immediately"
request earnestly (something from somebody); ask for aid or protection;
"appeal to somebody for help"
"Invoke God in times of trouble"
be attractive to;
"The idea of a vacation appeals to me"
"The beautiful garden attracted many people"
challenge (a decision);
"She appealed the verdict"
cite as an authority; resort to;
"He invoked the law that would save him"
"I appealed to the law of 1900"
"She invoked an ancient law"
- Their appeal for help went unheeded.
- He made one last appeal to his father to forgive him.
- His appeal to a higher court was set aside.
- The judge rejected the appeal made by the prisoner for a new trial.
- Jazz hasn't much appeal to me.
- Films of that sort have lost their appeal for children.
- The police appealed to the crowd not to panic.
- The community is appealing to everyone to save water.
- Her novels appeal mostly to women.
- Her sense of humour appealed to him enormously.
- The sinking ship appealed to the rescue team for help.
- We will appeal to a great variety of source of information.
- The captain appealed against the light.
- I intend to appeal that judgement.
- Five times he appealed the case, always losing.
- The defence will appeal the case to the Supreme court.
- His appeal for forgiveness went unanswered.
- We made an appeal to the villagers for money to build the bridge.
- This kind of music hasn't much appeal for me.
- Access to the park by ferryboat adds appeal to this excursion.
- He lodged an appeal against the decision.
- appeal against〔from〕 (v.+prep.)
提起上訴 ask a higher court of law to reconsider (a judgment made by a lower court)
appeal against/from sth
She will appeal against the judge's decision.
He appealed against the conviction.
He appealed from the judgement.
The decision of the Supreme Court shall not be appealed against.
- appeal for (v.+prep.)
呼吁 make a special request for (usually money or behaviour)
appeal for sth
He appealed for his parents' forgiveness.
Politicians at all levels appealed for calm.
The drivers whose cars had crashed appealed for help from passing motorists.
兩車相撞后,兩位司機懇請路過的駕駛員給予幫助。appeal for sth to-v
He was appealing for funds to build a new school.
The government is appealing for more money to help people suffering from the flood in the southeast.
- appeal to (v.+prep.)
對…有吸引力 be attracted
appeal to sb
He earnestly appealed to his friends for support.
He appealed to his father.
The prisoner appealed to the judge for mercy.
He appealed to his attacker for mercy.
他請求攻擊他的人發慈悲。appeal to sb to-v
The government is appealing to everyone to save water.
They appealed to the graduates in the whole department to go to work in the places where conditions are hardest.
At Christmas and New Year, people appeal to us to help the poor.
The invalid appealed to her children to make less noise.
I appeal to you to vote against him.
我想請你投他的反對票。appeal to sth
She appealed to a higher court.
她向上級法院上訴。appeal to sth
The two disputing countries decided not to appeal to arms.
這兩個有爭端的國家決定不訴諸武力。appeal to sb/sth
This job rather appeals to me.
They appeal to her sense of duty.
Does the idea of working abroad appeal to you?
This book appealed to them.
Abstract paintings did not appeal to Tom.
Your argument appeals to us.
Jogging appeals as much to girls as to boys.
- appeal earnestly 懇切地請求
- appeal forcibly 強有力地呼吁
- appeal irresistibly 不可抗拒地吸引
- appeal powerfully 強烈地吸引
- appeal profoundly 深深打動
- appeal publicly 公開呼吁
- appeal strongly 極大地觸動
- appeal against 不服…而上訴
- appeal against an arbitration 不服仲裁而上訴
- appeal against a decision 不服決定
- appeal against a judgement 不服判決
- appeal for 請求…,呼吁…
- appeal for aid 求援
- appeal for charity 乞求施舍
- appeal for helpers 要一些幫手
- appeal for mercy 乞求憐憫
- appeal for redress 要求賠償
- appeal from a decision 不服決定
- appeal from a judgement 不服判決
- appeal to 呼吁,合…的意,引起…的興趣/注意,求助于
- appeal to arms 訴諸武力
- appeal to common sense 借助普通常識
- appeal to force 訴諸武力
- appeal to a higher court 向上一級法院上訴
- appeal to low and vulgar taste 迎合庸俗低級趣味
- appeal to public opinion 激起社會輿論
- appeal to sb for help 請求某人幫助
- appeal to the law 訴諸法律
- address an appeal to 向…呼吁
- broadcast an appeal 廣播呼吁
- deny an appeal 駁回上訴
- file an appeal 提出上訴
- lose an appeal 上訴失敗
- make an appeal 懇求
- refuse an appeal 拒絕要求
- reject an appeal 駁回上訴
- respond to sb's appeal 響應某人的呼吁
- support an appeal 支持呼吁
- throw out appeal 撤回上訴
- voice an appeal 發出呼吁
- win an appeal 上訴獲勝
- eloquent appeal 有說服力的呼吁
- final appeal 最后的呼吁
- last appeal 最后的呼吁
- ringing appeal 有力的呼吁
- strong appeal 強烈要求
- artistic appeal 藝術魅力
- great appeal 巨大的吸引力
- appeal court 上訴法庭
- appeal against 不服…而提出的上訴
- appeal for 呼吁,懇求
- appeal for a new trial 重新審理的請求
- appeal for extra staff 懇求增添職員
- appeal for food 懇求食物
- appeal for help 懇求援助
- appeal for mercy 懇求寬恕
- appeal from 對…上訴
- appeal from a decision 不服判決而上訴
- appeal to 向…的呼吁
- appeal to the public 向公眾發出的呼吁
The casting up of the eyes..is a kind of appeal to the Deity.出自： Bacon
There was real appeal in her voice...She was crying.出自： D. Storey
A very moving appeal to all Christians to do all they can to assist in the manufacture of the H-bomb.出自： J. Osborne
The Revising Barrister's..decisions have never been appealed against.出自： G. O. Trevelyan
Thus Lloyd George appealed from the ruling classes to 'the people'.出自： A. J. P. Taylor
- appeal的基本意思是強烈的請求他人注意某事或希望他人認真考慮自己的請求,即“呼吁”“懇求”; 也常表示堅持讓人聽其申訴,由此引申而表示法律上的“上訴”; appeal所表示的申訴有時含有動用感情試圖引起有利于自己的反應或裁決之意,由此引申可表示“有感染力”“有吸引力”。此外, appeal還可表示“訴諸”“訴諸裁決或證實”。
- appeal除美式英語中表示“將…上訴”時用作及物動詞外,一般用作不及物動詞。表示“向…呼吁”“對…有吸引力”“訴諸…”時可接介詞to; 表示“呼吁”時可接介詞for; 表示“不服…而上訴”則可接介詞against或from。
- appeal用作名詞的基本意思是“懇求”,指急切地請求給予幫助,用于法律上則指“上訴”; 也可指向裁判員提出請求和抗議; appeal后接to sb表示“懇求的對象”,接for sth表示“懇求的內容”。
- on appeal的意思是“在上訴中”,注意appeal前無冠詞。
appeal作不及物動詞時，后面常接to，而appeal to常表示不同意思。例：appeal to the court (向法院上訴)， appeal to history (弓|證歷史)， appeal to the public (向大眾呼吁)， appeal to patriotism (引起愛國心)， appeal to force (求助于武力)。
I appeal to you to say whether I am not right.
This book appeals to them.
He appealed the case three times.
He is going to appeal against the decision.
在appeal to 后接賓語再加不定式時，要注意不定式所修飾的對象會不同。
The boy appealed to his mother to tell him what to do.
第一句的to tell是appealed to的表語，屬于his mother，而第二句的to know表示目的，屬于the boy。
- ☆ 1300年進入英語，直接源自盎格魯法語的apeler，意為控告；最初源自拉丁語的appellare，意為接近，稱呼，召喚。
- appealing adj. 吸引人的