- [C]鴨,野鴨 any of various type of common water-bird, domestic and wild
- [U]鴨肉 its flesh as food
- [C]親愛的,寶貝兒 dear (as a form of address)
- vi. & vt. 躲避; 閃開 lower quickly especially so as to avoid being hit or seen
- vt. & vi. 潛入 push under water
small wild or domesticated web-footed broad-billed swimming bird usually having a depressed body and short legs
(cricket) a score of nothing by a batsman
flesh of a duck (domestic or wild)
a heavy cotton fabric of plain weave; used for clothing and tents
to move (the head or body) quickly downwards or away;
"Before he could duck, another stone struck him"
submerge or plunge suddenly
dip into a liquid;
"He dipped into the pool"
avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues);
"He dodged the issue"
"she skirted the problem"
"They tend to evade their responsibilities"
"he evaded the questions skillfully"
- The special today is pressed duck with walnuts.
- They visited a duck farm operated by the corporation.
- You cannot teach an old duck new tricks.
- There are many ducks swimming in the lake.
- She's a sweet old duck.
- The duck quacks.
- She raised ducks.
- He brought down several wild ducks on his last hunting trip.
- Somebody fired a gun and startled a flock of wild ducks.
- Donald Duck is as famous as Mickey Mouse.
- I prefer goose to duck.
- Some ancient old duck fooled them all!
- He is the queer old duck with the knee-length gaiters and walrus mustache.
- “Will you come with us?”“Will a duck swim?”
- I must have told him a hundred times, and he always forgets — it's like water off a duck's back.
我一定告訴他許多次了,而他總是忘記 —— 那不起作用。
- He is ducking under water.
- She had to duck to get through the low doorway.
- He ducked his head in the stream to get cool.
- The man ducked his son in the swimming pool.
- Don't try to duck cleaning up the kitchen.
- a sitting duck
容易攻擊或容易擊中的人或事物 person or thing that is an easy target, or is easy to attack
- play ducks and drakes with
浪費,揮霍 spend in a careless wasteful way; children's game in which flat stones are bounced across the surface of the water
- (take to sth/v-ing) like a duck to water
像鴨子下水般; 不猶豫地,不懼怕地,自然地 without hesitation, fear, or difficulty; naturally
- duck by (v.+prep.)
以…逃避 escape by means of
duck sb by v-ing
She ducked the interviewers by sneaking out the back door.
- duck down (v.+adv.)
低下身子躲過… lower one's body to avoid sth
The soldiers ducked down as the bullets began to fly.
Duck down behind this wall and then the policeman won't see you.
We saw the missile coming our way and ducked down.
- duck into (v.+prep.)
躲進 hide into
duck into sth
Duck into this doorway and hope he doesn't see us.
He ducked into the doctor's office and back out again.
- duck out of (v.+adv.+prep.)
逃避(做)… try to avoid (doing) sth
duck out of sth/v-ing
Don't try to duck out of the dishes!
It's unlawful to duck out of paying taxes.
- duck with (v.+prep.)
用…回避 avoid sth by
duck sth with sth
He ducked a question with a joke.
- chance the duck 好歹要干一下
- like a duck to water 自然地,毫無畏懼地
- duck down 低下身子躲過…
Her child..was so much her 'duck' that he grew up to be a goose.出自： C. H. Spurgeon
Nutty Nottingham Council has banned workers calling each other 'love' or 'duck' under new anti-sexism laws.出自：Sun
She..stepped down into cooler water, ducked, then got out.出自： W. Golding
- duck用作可數名詞意思是“鴨子”,尤指“母鴨”, duck有兩種復數形式:duck和ducks,一般情況下多用零復數形式,只有在指不同的種類和個體時才采用規則復數形式。
- “Will a duck swim?”的意思是“還用說嗎?”。
- duck作“躲避; 閃開”解時可表示動作,也可表示狀態; 多用作及物動詞,接名詞或動名詞作賓語。
- duck, dodge, fence, malinger, parry, shirk
- 這組詞都有“回避”的意思,它們之間的區別是:fence指像擊劍者那樣“躲避”,強調靈巧和勇氣; dodge強調動作迅速或突然變換位置進行“躲閃”,含有策略、機警、聰明的意思; duck指突然地彎腰或好像彎腰那樣進行“躲〔回〕避”; malinger指偽裝有病或虛弱,以“逃避”職責或艱巨的任務等; parry強調自衛的技能和靈巧; shirk指卑鄙地、膽怯地、鬼祟地去“躲〔回〕避”。例如:
- He was able to dodge so that the man's knife went through his sleeve, wounding him only slightly.他來得及躲開,那人的小刀刺穿他的衣袖,他僅受了點輕傷。
- He saw a policeman coming and ducked behind a car.他看到一個警察向他走來,便閃身躲在一輛汽車后面。
- She says she's got flu, but I think she's malingering.她說她感冒了,但我認為她是在裝病逃避工作。
- I parried her question by the best excuses I could offer.我用自己能找到的最好借口回避她的問題。
- He shirked his duty to his family.他逃避家庭的職責。
- ☆ 直接源自古英語的duce，意為鴨，潛水者。