- n. 許多；大量；抽簽；簽；命運；一塊地；拍賣品；一類或一些(人或物)；批；套；份兒
- adv. 很；非常
- v. 劃分；分配
- [U]許多,大量 very much
- [C]簽;抽簽 any of a set of objects of different sizes with different markings used for making a choice or decision by chance
- [U]命運;運氣 fate;fortune
- [C]一塊地,場地 an area of land
(often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent;
"a batch of letters"
"a deal of trouble"
"a lot of money"
"he made a mint on the stock market"
"see the rest of the winners in our huge passel of photos"
"it must have cost plenty"
"a slew of journalists"
"a wad of money"
a parcel of land having fixed boundaries;
"he bought a lot on the lake"
an unofficial association of people or groups;
"the smart set goes there"
"they were an angry lot"
your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you);
"whatever my fortune may be"
"deserved a better fate"
"has a happy lot"
"the luck of the Irish"
"a victim of circumstances"
"success that was her portion"
anything (straws or pebbles etc.) taken or chosen at random;
"the luck of the draw"
"they drew lots for it"
any collection in its entirety;
"she bought the whole caboodle"
(Old Testament) nephew of Abraham; God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah but chose to spare Lot and his family who were told to flee without looking back at the destruction
divide into lots, as of land, for example
administer or bestow, as in small portions;
"administer critical remarks to everyone present"
"dole out some money"
"shell out pocket money for the children"
"deal a blow to someone"
"the machine dispenses soft drinks"
- It takes a lot of labor to build a railway.
- She had a lot of problems to contend with.
- The flood did a lot of damage to the crops.
- This firm prints a lot of musical and sports books.
- She was chosen by lot to represent us.
- They drew lots to decide which of them should go first.
- We worked hard to better the lot of the needy.
- He gardened the lot behind his house.
- Lot 99 is a pair of antique vases.
- The first lot of visitors has arrived.
- The next lot of young soldiers are to come up next week.
- I have several lots of essays to mark this weekend.
- I'm feeling a lot better today.
- I've got a lot of work to do.
- There are lots of children in the park.
- There was lots of money in my wallet.
- A lot of money has been wasted.
- A lot of people have been ill.
- He made that decision actually by drawing lots.
- The lot fell upon me.
- They are busy giving out two lots of pamphlets to people in the street.
- This wine is no good but the next lot may be better.
- They were a rather arrogant boring lot.
- I care about you a lot.
- She had a husband whose job took him away a lot.
- We see a lot of him these days.
- She is feeling a lot better.
- The weather is a lot warmer there.
- He eats lots more than he used to.
- This is lots more interesting.
- man's lot 人類的命運
Each markt his lot, and cast it in, to Agamemnons caske.出自： G. Chapman
They now drew lots for the watches.出自： Tolkien
- lot的基本意思是“許多,大量”,在肯定句中常用于a lot of或lots of結構,可修飾可數名詞,也可修飾不可數名詞。其含意與many或much相同。當它們在句中與其他詞一起作主語時,謂語動詞應與其所修飾的名詞或代詞在數上保持一致。
- a lot不可作狀語,修飾動詞,表示數量上的“多”或“經?！?。a lot和lots可用來修飾形容詞或副詞的比較級,表示程度。
- a lot of, a great deal of, many, a number of, lots of, many a, much
- 這組詞(組)都表示“許多”的意思。其區別在于:many是普通用語,其后只能接可數名詞復數; many a是書面用語,后接單數可數名詞,當修飾主語時謂語動詞要用單數形式; much是普通用語,是對量和程度而言的,只能修飾不可數名詞; a number of可用來修可數名詞復數; a lot of和lots of既可接可數名詞,也可接不可數名詞,多用于肯定句。a great deal of后接不可數名詞,謂語動詞用單數,且常用于肯定句中。例如:
- Man and the ape have many things in common.人和猿有許多共同之處。
- Many a man comes or goes.一個又一個的人來來去去。
- A number of people came to the meeting from all over the world.來自世界各地的許多人參加了這次會議。
- A lot of friends are thinking of emigrating.許多朋友正在考慮移民國外。
- There are lots of antiques shops in Australia now.現在澳大利亞有許許多多的古玩店。
- She's earned a great deal of money in the last few weeks.在最近幾個星期內,她掙了大量的錢。
- ☆ 直接源自中古英語的hlot，意為叉枝。