- vt. & vi. 擦,拭,抹; 擦去,拭去,抹去 rub sth with cloth, paper, hands, etc. to clean or dry it
- [C] 擦,拭,揩,抹,搽 act of wiping
the act of rubbing or wiping;
"he gave the hood a quick rub"
rub with a circular motion;
"wipe the blackboard"
"He passed his hands over the soft cloth"
- She wiped her tears away.
- I wiped my shoes on the mat before I came in.
- When you have washed the car , wipe it down well .
- He tried to wipe out the memory of his former girlfriend.
- How could I trace your hair to wipe your tears?My hands reached out, catching nothing but a raindrop, on a leaf that had withered.
- Only in this way can we wipe out the enemy troops.
- He wiped me with his fist.
- Please give the table mats a quick wipe.
- Please wipe the table with a dry cloth.
- Life is like a mop, using today to mop up yesterday and wipe out tomorrow.
- She wiped vigorously but the stain remained.
- He went on talking, occasionally wiping at his face with a towel.
- Please wipe the top of the table, it is wet.
- She wipes the furniture and the floor every day.
- The waitress was wiping the dishes when the phone rang.
- The teacher wiped the misspelling from the blackboard.
- Take this handkerchief and wipe your nose,Mary.
- She wiped sweat from her forehead.
- Time had wiped her image from my memory.
- She wiped a cloth over the dusty table.
- He wiped his hand across his forehead.
- It takes time to wipe the windowpanes dry and clean.
- Wipe your face clean.
- After a long argument they decided to wipe the state clean and be friends again.
- The blackboard has been wiped clean.
- Give your nose a good wipe.
- Give this plate a good wipe.
- Give your hands a wipe on this towel.
- Please give the table mats a quick wipe.
- The cook gave every bowl a wipe before landing food into it.
- He fetched me a wipe.
- wipe away (v.+adv.)
擦掉,清除 remove by or as if by rubbing, clean away by wiping
wipe sth ? away
He wiped away the grease from the wind screen of the car.
The rain then falling wiped away all the footprints.
We tried to wipe away all signs of our presence.
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.
She wiped the sweat away from her brow with the back of hand.
- wipe off1 (v.+adv.)
〈口〉了結(債務) put an end to sth such as a debt〔說明〕 wipe off作此解時一般不用于進行體。
Paint won't wipe off.
油漆擦不掉。wipe sth ? off
Would you please wipe off the table?
Here's a brush to wipe off the mud on your clothes.
The teacher told us not to wipe off what he had written on the blackboard.
He wiped off the words from the blackboard before I could copy them down.
They wiped off the blood and went into battle again.
The girl wiped the dirty marks off.
那女孩擦掉了臟痕。wipe sth ? off
It took five years for the couple to wipe off all the debts.
Tom's uncle sent him a sum of money which enabled him to wipe off his debts.
You have helped me so much that I am willing to wipe off the ￡20 you owe me.
Generously, he agreed to wipe off their small debt to him as a mark of respect for their dead father.
I shall never feel satisfied until that debt is wiped off.
- wipe off2 (v.+prep.)
把…從…擦掉 remove sth such as a mark from a surface
wipe sth off sth
Wipe the dirt off your shoes.
She stood up to wipe the sweat off her face.
Once inside the factory yard,Mother set her baskets down, wiped the sweat off her face and looked round.
I'm sorry. I wiped those words off the blackboard before I remembered that you wanted them left on.
- wipe on (v.+prep.)
在…上擦… clean sth on sth
wipe sth on sth
Wipe your shoes on the mat before coming into the house.
He wiped his dirty hands on his apron.
Wipe wax on the scratched surface.
- wipe out (v.+adv.)
徹底摧毀,消滅 cancel〔destroy〕 sth completely; put an end to sth; kill, destroy or get rid of sb/sth, especially in great numbers
wipe sth ? out
It is months since he wiped out the fuel tank.
Don't forget to wipe out the sink when you've finished the dishes.
Could you wipe the basin out?
We wiped the bottles out before returning to the milkman.
These cups have been thoroughly wiped out.
Make sure that the inside of the coffee pot is thoroughly wiped out.
These stains won't easily wipe out.
這些斑點不易去掉。wipe sth ? out
Wipe out the pencil marks on your textbook!
She got angry and wiped out her name on the blackboard.
她生氣了,于是就把黑板上寫的自己的名字擦掉了。wipe sth ? out
This last payment will wipe out your debt to me.
After years of family fighting, the uncles agreed to wipe out old scores so their children could marry.
經過多年家族爭斗之后,長輩們同意消除宿怨,以便孩子們可以通婚。wipe sb/sth ? out
They wiped him out to keep him from appearing as a witness.
The epidemic wiped out half the town's population.
One atom bomb can wipe out thousands of people.
We are always ready to wipe out any enemy who dares to attack.
The enemy wiped out the whole nation.
Doctors are searching for a cure that will wipe out cancer.
Centuries ago, this deserted place was a flourishing town, but a tornado is said to have wiped it out.
Smoking in the field is strictly forbidden in the harvest season; a single spark can start a fire that will wipe out all the crop.
The depression wiped out his savings.
His generous gift has helped to wipe out our loss.
The wicked must be wiped out.
Thousands of men were wiped out in that battle.
A whole battalion of enemy troops were wiped out in the battle.
All four aircrafts were wiped out by missiles fired from the ground.
The city was completely wiped out.
Illiteracy has been wiped out in our village.
As time went on, those unpleasant events were gradually wiped out from his memory.
- wipe up (v.+adv.)
(把洗過的碗碟等用抹布)擦干,擦掉(落下的某物或濺出的液體等) take up liquid etc. by mopping〔rubbing〕 with a cloth, or to dry crockery, etc. after it has been washed; make dry
wipe sth ? up
Anyone is welcome to use the meeting room but must wipe up the mess afterward.
Who is going to wipe up this mess?
The waitress wiped up the soup spilt over the table.
Don't let the coffee sink into the carpet; wipe it up.
- wipe with (v.+prep.)
用…擦 clean (sth such as a surface) by rubbing with (a cloth); use (a cloth) for cleaning
wipe sth with sth
Mother wiped the glasses with a dry towel.
I like to wipe the windows with a very soft cloth.
He wiped his face and neck with a towel.
He wiped the sweat from his brow with his hands.
- wipe a bike 擦自行車
- wipe a car 擦汽車
- wipe a dish 擦碟子
- wipe a glass 擦杯子
- wipe a pane of glass 擦玻璃
- wipe a stain 擦去污點
- wipe a table 擦桌子
- wipe dirty marks 擦去臟痕
- wipe footprints 擦掉腳印
- wipe grease 擦去油漬
- wipe one's chin 擦下巴
- wipe one's eyes 擦眼睛
- wipe one's face 擦臉
- wipe one's feet 擦腳
- wipe one's hands 擦手
- wipe one's mouth 擦嘴巴
- wipe one's neck 擦脖子
- wipe one's nose 擦鼻子
- wipe one's tears 擦眼淚
- wipe shoes 擦鞋
- wipe spit 擦口水
- wipe sweat 擦汗珠
- wipe the dust 擦去灰塵
- wipe the floor 擦地板
- wipe the furniture 擦家具
- wipe the mud 擦去泥
- wipe the washing-up bowl 把洗的碗揩干
- wipe windowpanes 擦窗玻璃
- wipe abruptly 突然地擦
- wipe absent-mindedly 心不在焉地擦
- wipe cautiously 細心地擦
- wipe cleverly 靈活地擦
- wipe completely 徹底擦去
- wipe confusedly 慌亂地擦
- wipe cunningly 巧妙地擦
- wipe deftly 巧妙地擦
- wipe dictatorially 專橫地擦
- wipe eagerly 急切地擦
- wipe gently 輕輕擦
- wipe gradually 漸漸抹掉
- wipe hastily 草草地擦
- wipe instantaneously 即刻擦
- wipe mechanically 呆板地擦
- wipe noiselessly 悄悄地擦
- wipe occasionally 偶爾擦
- wipe quietly 從容地擦
- wipe repeatedly 反復擦
- wipe resolutely 果斷地擦
- wipe sedately 沉著地擦
- wipe thoroughly 徹底擦
- wipe timidly 膽怯地擦
- wipe vigorously 使勁擦
- wipe away 擦掉,清除
- wipe down 徹底擦去
- wipe off 揩去,擦掉,銷掉,付清
- wipe off evil practice 鏟除惡習
- wipe off old scores 消除宿怨
- wipe out 擦洗(某物的)內部,消滅,毀滅
- wipe out a family 滅絕滿門
- wipe out deficits 消滅赤字
- wipe out difficulties 克服困難
- wipe out disgrace 雪恥
- wipe out illiteracy 掃除文盲
- wipe out losses 消除損失
- wipe over 隨便擦擦
- wipe up 擦干(洗過的碗碟等),擦掉(落下的某物或濺出的液體等)
- wipe on a towel 用毛巾擦
Take the poker, and fetch it a wipe across the nose.出自： G. B. Shaw
Daisy..wiped her face with the back of her hand.出自： P. Fitzgerald
Rosie looked down at her earth-stained fingers...She wiped them on..her dress.出自： A. Huth
It was Henry who..scrubbed the kitchen floor, wiped down the surfaces.出自： N. Williams
- wipe主要用作及物動詞。作“擦”解時,其賓語可以是桌椅、自行車等物品或眼睛、額頭等人體器官; 作“擦去”解時,其賓語則是灰塵、眼淚等被擦去的東西。
- wipe還可以接dry, clean等形容詞充當補足語的復合賓語。
- wipe可與away, off, out, up等構成短語動詞,表示“擦凈,擦干”等意義。wipe out還可用于引申義如“消滅”“毀滅”等。
- 在口語中, wipe也可作“狠狠的一擊”解。
- wipe with, wipe on
- wipe A with B表示的是“用…擦…”,一般說,A是靜的,B是動的; 而wipe A on B表示的是“在…上擦…”,一般說,A是動的,B是靜的。另外, wipe A on B還含有從A上擦下來的東西附著在B上的意味。注意有的句子只能用wipe with,有的句子只能用wipe on,有的句子用with或on均可。試體會下面三個句子的含義：
- He wiped the furniture with a damp cloth.
- Wipe your boots on the mat.
- He wiped his nose with〔on〕 his handker- chief.
- wipe away, wipe off, wipe out, wipe up
- 1.在構成上, wipe away, wipe out和wipe up都是“動+副”型短語動詞; 而wipe off則既是“動+副”型短語動詞,又是“動+介”型短語動詞。
- 2.在含義上, wipe away強調“擦下去,擦掉”, wipe off指從表面上擦去, wipe out指把器物的里面擦干凈, wipe up則指把洗過的碗碟等擦干或把落下的某物或濺出的液體等擦掉。
- 3.在用法上, wipe away, wipe out和wipe up都使用wipe sth away〔out,up〕句型; 而wipe off除使用wipe sth off句型外,還可使用wipe sth off sth 句型。
- 4.wipe out常用來表示“摧毀”“消滅”“殺死”等義, wipe off和wipe up較少用于表示這些意思,而wipe away則一般不用于表示這些意思。在作“消滅”“毀滅”解時, wipe out有“大量”“成批”“不留痕跡”的意味, wipe up則有將被消滅的人〔物〕視如“濺出”之物的意味,暗含一種蔑視的感情。
- 5.wipe off和wipe out都可表示“了結”,另外兩個短語則無此含義。
- wipe, rub
- He bent over and rubbed his sore ankle.他彎著身子按摩疼痛的腳踝。
- Trainers rub down an athlete after hard exercise.強化訓練之后,教練員為運動員按摩。
- Please wipe up the spilt milk.請把濺出來的牛奶擦干凈。
- I rubbed the rust from the old machine.我把舊機器上的銹擦掉。
- She was rubbing her shoes with a brush.她正用刷子擦她的鞋子。
- She has rubbed up the plate.她把盤子擦亮了。
- wipe, clean, sweep
- sweep用在“打掃房間,拖擦地板”的場合,含有“掃在一起后把它清除掉”的意味; clean指“擦洗,去掉污垢”,并不注重采用何種手段; wipe多指“用布輕輕地”擦。
- wipe out, die out
- In order to find ways to wipe out flies, the biologist has spent 33 years watching their behaviour.
- 為了消滅蒼蠅,這位生物學家花了33 年時間觀察蒼蠅的行為。
- If too many of these rare animals are killed, their kind will die out.
- 如果過多地屠殺這些稀有動物,它們 就會絕種。
誤 Please wipe the dishes dryly.
正 Please wipe the dishes dry.
析 表示“把…擦干”可以用“wipe+sth+ adj. ”結構,這里dry是賓語dishes的補語,表示動詞wipe的動作發生后賓語dishes的變化,形容詞dry不可用副詞dryly代替。她擦去桌面上的灰塵。
誤 She wiped the dust out of the tabletop.
正 She wiped the dust off the tabletop.
析 out of表示“向外的動作”, off才表示“脫離的動作”。
- ☆ 直接源自古英語的wipian，意為擦洗。